Water level and battery condition display panel in Westfalia

Asked by Aug 03, 2015 at 09:52 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Camper Passenger Van

Water level and battery condition display lights not working properly.

1,405

First check the two fuses behind the drivers seat. Clean the fuse contacts. This may wake things up.

Thanks for your answer, Chris. Checked fuses, but they looked good to us. Coincidentally, our '86 A/T Westy wouldn't start at the same time that our Aux. Display Panel went bonkers. The switch when flipped to the water level indicator is lighting up on the battery side, and when switched to the battery side nothing happens. Weird. I've read that vibrations over the years could break the soldered connections behind the display panel. Might get brave and take the cover off for a look-see. Maybe the panel & the not starting are related electrical issues. Our battery is topped up and no previous starting or electrical problems except for the Radiator Fan Resistor which just arrived today, necessary for the 450 wt fan we have. Since our fuel pump works on "start" (no other noise - no clicking), apparently it isn't the ignition switch(?) The dash lights, headlights, wipers all work with ignition turned to "on" but not the galley light nor the interior courtesy lights. Hmmm. Maybe it's the battery ground or the wire from the battery to the starter (solenoid?). We aren't mechanically inclined but have been reading up via the computer late into the nights. Darn, it looks like we'll be calling a tow truck - again - the rear heater core blew all the coolant out a few weeks ago! Now this. Thanks again for your answer. We'll have a second go at the fuses, just in case; but have you ever heard of a display panel (mis)behaving like this? Cheers, Donna & Alan