my 85 vanagon had a larger than normal oil leak, maybe from the rod tube or oil pump?!

Asked by Jun 16, 2015 at 03:55 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

Always a small leak but this is a puddle! It's been sitting too, backed it in the barn to clean
her up for camping season. When I removed the dipstick there seems to be too much oil
and I have no idea how that could be over full, unless I am sleep wrenching! Kinda
strange.

1,525

Degreasing and monitor where oil starts to leak when started. Sometimes the oil cooler seal, located above the oil filter, cracks and creates a huge oil leak on the Vanagon.

I will c!ean it better, but not sure if the leak is lower. Thank you for your time, appreciate it.

4,835

The "o" ring between the oil cooler and the engine block (the filter mounts to the oil cooler) is a known problem with Vanagons that sit. The ring dries out and cracks. Check out Vanagon dot com for great tips and tricks in their archives.