Is it through that you can put a ford focus engine in a VW Vanagon with a transition kit?

Asked by Jun 15, 2014 at 01:43 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

4,655

It has been done. http://www .bostig.com/bostig-vanagon- conversion-rg2-20-deposit-total-price-5999/ (take spaces out of the web address to go to the site)

195

Have you though about just putting a 1983 air cooler motor in ? It's slow but will last a lot longer and you won't have that trouble of water or coolant getting into to motor prob. ........that's what I have but it only go's about 50 mph up hill ....Jamie

4,655

The most popular transplant is the Subaru flat fours...good power and economy. The problem with the wasserboxer is the dissimilar metals (aluminum heads...magnesium case). this induces galvanic corrosion which leads to gasket failure and makes the heads very difficult to remove from the block. Been there, done that. If you go aircooled, try to find a flat 6 Porsche engine!

195

I would go with what Scott said that is the best way to go ....Jamie

4,655

I believe ABT tuning over in Germany built a 911-powered Vanagon back in the late 1980s. Supposedly, it would go 200 KPH....that's pretty fast for something shaped like a brick.