My Vanagon starts when it is cold, however occasionally when I am driving the motor will stop. pull over and try to restart it. It turns over very well but will not ignite.

Asked by Mar 08, 2014 at 07:21 AM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

I pull over and try to start it.  There is lots of battery and it turns over but will not ignite.   I try
again every15 minutes  up to about an hour or so.   It usually  starts again and I drive off.  I
have had AAA tow me to a garage and by the time I get there it starts in the garage.  It is
difficult for the mechanics to diagnose it in their shop when it starts fine there.  This only
occurs occasionally, but the car is not dependable over long periods of time.  As long as this
problem is not occurring the motor ignites almost immediately.

I forget, do the 85s still have a condenser? If so, you may need a new one. While at it, check rotor, points and distributor cap. After that, the ignition coil may be at fault. My 85 was the best vanagon I ever had.

ok- those who know me already know what I'm gonna say- WHY a Vanagon?! And I say this from a mechanic's point of view- really complicated, overly engineered machines- a million things to go wrong- over the years, people found out the hard way- even now, in the 21st century, my mechanic friend and I, when driven' around point at Vanagons and say: "Look! A Vanagon that runs!!" this doesn't happen too often- if you are rich, find a really good mechanic who can deal with that beast-