I just purchased an 85 vanagon. It tries to start but don't. I did find a worn hose coming from a white box. If I read this site correctly is that white box a filter?

15

Asked by Dec 16, 2014 at 01:26 AM about the 1985 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

It will hit but not start. I thought it was my fuel pump but i can hear it run when I turn on
the switch. I need to check all the hoses. Am I on the right track? I'm new with vw 's
especially vanagons

Dawg!!! Trade dat POS! Time for a new ride, Clyde! Slide on down to your local Dealer for some sizzling HOT Holiday deals on some new wheels!! Hollar at me!

143,455

If your engine looks like this, yes, where I put "this box" on the picture is the engine air filter..click to size up

Best Answer
15

No the white box is beside the air filter. it is fuel injected. I sprayed starting fluid in it and it will run for a few seconds. I thought it was the plastic fuel filter. I had the same problem with my rabbit but it was the fuel pump. This one works.