how to adjust 1984 1.9 watercooled vanagon gl valves

Asked by Mar 04, 2014 at 09:26 PM about the 1984 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

What is the right way to adjust the valves?I have the Bentley manual(4sale<) and it is not very detailed.

YouTube can maybe help: How to video part 1: Part II:

PLEASE HELP THIS OLD HIPPY WITH HIS OLD VW!!! The video was for air cooled engines. I have a 1984 1.9ltr. water cooled. Bentley says tighten adjusting screw 2 turns after rocker arm and ball makes contact and then proceed to next one .I did that and she runs and sounds like a BANGING RATTLE TRAP

I believe the procedure in the video should be the same as the 1.9l wasserboxer is a direct decendant of the aircooled Type IV in the video. is a great resource for tech tips...but the site is down right now. I'm pretty sure the wasserboxers all had hydraulic lifters...I'll check my Bentley as well.

First pic.

According to my Bentley -- probably same as yours -- adjuster is set to just touch the valve stem, then 2 more CW turns and tighten locknuts. Being hydraulic lifters, they should compress to allow this. Then, when running, they should pump up and "self-adjust". I imagine the 180 degree rotation between each cylinder adjustment allows for moving the adjusted valve through it's cycle once.

Another documented process...pretty much the same, from the archives at

Another article: gasket-replacement.txt Apparently, centering the push-rods in the lifters is touchy...might wanna inspect those guys.