Oil for my 1983 vanagon

195

Asked by Feb 20, 2014 at 10:54 PM about the 1983 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

What kind of oil would I put in my  1983 T-3 joker Volkswagen vanagon westfalia
Canada/USA model also what kind of gas is best for it ,just got it love it,got it to go
camping with my son only 61k on it looks and runs great .thanks for you'r time.....Jamie

4,745

Firstly, I recommend visiting Vanagon.com and check out their great collection of information and consider joining the forum. The Vanagon community is strong and full of helpful folks with a teaching spirit. What you will discover is that the Vanagon (especially the Wasserboxer) is unique collection of automotive designs that was engineered to work together. That being said, it also has unique maintenance requirements. As to your question, the recommended oil is 20w-50 non-synthetic. Use a good quality oil and filter...and change both religiously. If you live in colder climes, a synthetic blend can be used. In Alaska, I used a block heater as well. I wholeheartedly recommend getting a Bentley manual for your Westie as several routine maintenance tasks are a bit in- depth. It's a $100 investment that will save you hundreds in the future. Have a great time with your new friend. Do study up and learn what it takes to keep it on the road...there aren't any more being made and it is a truly enjoyable vehicle.

Best Answer
4,745

Feel free to message me on Facebook....I can provide a lot of digital tech data and links.

195

Thank you for you'r time,I live in the high desert of Palmdale ca. The temp go's from 100 in the summer to about 35 degrees in the winter,do you think I should run with the 20/50 all the time ? Thanks ...Jamie L

4,745

ABSOLUTELY!

4,745

In the winter, give it a few minutes or so to warm up the oil before driving off...I lived in Rosamond for a while and know about those high-speed runs up and down the valley. You want the protection of that thicker oil.

195

Hi ...so you know what I'm talking about,thanks for you'r time....Jamie l

4,745

You should examine your tires closely as well. Due to the weight a top-heavy nature of the Vanagons, a c- rated tire is recommended. This can be really hard to find in a 14 inch diameter so most owners upgrade the wheels to 15" or 16" to accommodate more available tire options with the higher rating. It's all about the sidewall strength. I made the mistake of getting passenger tires once on my Vanagon...they didn't last half as long as they should have. Again, Vanagon.com has great info to help with this and other unique Vanagon issues.

195

Hi ,what kind of tire should I get ,what do you think is the best,what do you have on you'r vanagon.size and type....thanks for you'r time..Jamie L

4,745

Jamie, you have some homework to do. Go to: http://www .vanagon .com/info/tires/index.htm (take the spaces out from before the periods and use as a link)

4,745

Tirerack .com has no tires in the 14" size that will work. Discount Tire carries the BFG LT195/75R14D1 but it's $140 and very aggressive...not really what you want for highway driving. The Sam's Club in Palmdale can get you the right size but not in a Light Truck reinforced sidewall which is important. The newest light truck tire in a 14" is the Michelin Agilis. Partnumber is 08268 size is 185R14C 102 R If you can't this tire or one very much like it, 15" wheels are probably the way to go.

195

Thank's Scott for all you'r help,that so cool you take the time to get back to me. Jamie L

195

Well do ,go to www.vanagon

4,745

Gee, I didn't even get to the part where you have to flush the coolant every two years!

195

Hey Scott...I have the last of the air cooler vanagons1983'. It was at the end of 1983 when they started making the water cooled model that they had trouble with the coolant getting in to the motors . What year vanagon do you have. .? I just posted some pic,s of my vanagon westfalia on car gurus site .take a look .Thanks

195

I just looked at you'r site you have a 1986'. Do you still have it ?are all those cars you'r ,shit that's slot of cars

4,745

When you're my age, you will have had many cars, too.

4,745

Great that you got an aircooled Van...saves half the headaches!

4,745

Most of the cars I've listed have left my life. Have the truck, 2012 Beetle, and 1996 GTI

4,745

You've got a very nice T3...take car of it...they are rare and wonderful.

195

Thanks...I will it's a great van , how rare are they ,

Hey I just purchased my first vanagon, a 1984. I originally got it just because the person was selling it for dirt cheap I was going to flip it. Once I got it home I began looking at how it was built and i am now mesmerized by this v4 engine in the back van. Needless to say I am keeping it and fully restoring it. I have purchased my Bently book it is a phone book of information. I have reading issues I can't read well. My question is how do I know the engine is good? It runs great.