1983 1.9L - Remove spark plugs - tin in the way

10

Asked by Aug 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM about the 1983 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

I want to get the spark plugs out of my 1983 water-cooled 1.9L Vanagon, and have never seen tin around the plug blocking my way. Does the tin need to be removed? If so, how is it removed?

230

If you mean the tin which is an added protection to the plug cable ends, it is part of the cable ends and you just pull it off as you would pull off from the spark plug like any other cable end . It may take gentle wiggling as yoy pull. enrik

19,705

A Vanagon! understand, grasshopper, that you must be a true guru before you take a wrench to the infamous Vanagon- it sure ain't like an old VW bus

230

Sorry, I did not want to mark last comment as being helpful. Don't get discouraged. If you use your wits, you can also conquer the vanagon problems. Just tell me what that tin you are referring to looks like. A photo would be helpful. enrik

19,705

Ah, enrik- so you did not think that the jamnblues answer was helpful? When we encourage amateurs to get in over their heads with one of the mightiest mysteries in machines- that is not helpful

230

jamnblues, did you mean to finish your sentence with - "is that not helpful?" ? Can we give adlib423 an idea what the tin is? I have never seen a tin shroud on a water cooled Vanagon. I shall have a question for you about the voltage regulator for fuel and temperature gauges in a 93 Eurovan though. enrik

10

So, yes, we have now discovered the tin shroud IS actually part of the plug wire. So thankful for this forum, even when sarcastic comments appear. Actually, BECAUSE sarcastic answers are included!!!!!

19,705

You guys are out-guruing the guru- My answer was far from sarcastic- I know about Vanagons and Eurovans because one of my friends is a VW mechanic- I would not dare to work on one myself- when I answer questions on this site, I try to remember that not everybody SHOULD be working on their own cars- we have professionals out there, some of them really good wrenchs- and the 21st century cars are not for amateurs- an owner can get in trouble real fast just trying to do the simplest things under the hood- so I know, that on some questions the best advice I can give is "take it to a pro"- lol- enrik- you're a funny guy- thanks for the good humor, about the gauges in a Eurovan