1982 Vanagan : keep burning out half-shafts; preceded by thumping noise, then no go?

Asked by Apr 28, 2014 at 02:48 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon GL Passenger Van

Have installed 3 sets of half-shafts, less than 10K on each ;  thumping noise on light load
precedes shafts burning out ;  manual trans,  30K on new engine.  What's going wrong?

4,565

Which end of the half-shafts are failing? If it's the outer joint(s), you may need to have new wheel bearings pressed in. The parts are about $30 each, but it's a bear to do. Find you a good VW or Euro car garage and get it done...worth the headache you'll save.