What type of oil should I put in my 82 Westie - I'm going to drive it from CA to DC next week?

45

Asked by Mar 13, 2013 at 09:59 PM about the 1982 Volkswagen Vanagon Camper Passenger Van

1982 VW Camper Van, 180,000 miles

100,065

Look for oil that has "European Formula" on the front and the VW specs 502 and 505 on the back label.

45

Thank you, but I mean specifically, what kind? I went to this Mobile site and it recommended: Mobil 1 0W-40 http://www.mobiloil.com/usa- english/motoroil/car_care/which_oil/WhichOilManualResults.aspx? option=1

100,065

Mobil 1 0W-40, but NOT other viscosities of Mobil 1. That is one common brand used by many Audi owners. Some Wal-Marts have it in the 5 liter jugs.

Best Answer Mark helpful
100,065

Castrol 0W-30 European formula, Castrol 5W-30 branded as SLX Professional and Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 full synthetic oil were some other brands mentioned.

If you've been using a particular oil, I recommend that you STAY with that oil, just like any other oil changes...no need to get exotic...will only lead to complications with a buggy this vintage.

I'd take a look at the cooling system and possibly replace the coolant lines with braided stainless...as I've serviced more than one of these...and containing the coolant all the way down the length and back again causes complications.

21,105

good oil is important, but still dont run this hard on the road ,under 65,maby 70 but you need good cooling and they run safer at 60 65 mph or less beter mpg at 55 on this one,they dont like to be pushed to hard,plus the areodynamics want lower speed, clutch cable gotta hold up thats sometime weak link,small propane heater i used in mine worked nice while driving only,

100,065

I made that cross country trip before. I would gas up at the end of the day and spend the night somewhere east of a big city. In the morning, I was ready to fly and traffic was heading the other way.

Love that cross-country trip too- sadly it was in a 500 dollar 66 chevy pickup with an out-of-balance 400 engine---good n' powerful. Plenty of sights to see, yosemite, tioga pass, bodie (ghost town) grand canyon. route 66, St Louis...etc.

4,795

Mason, please check out www.vanagon.com The Vanagon engines are unique in the VW world. I recommend a good quality synthetic blend - 20w-50. As a rule, never use an oil with viscosity spread higher than 30 points. The polymer additives required to go more than that result in less lubricant and more polymer. Also, check your tires...the Vanagon Westy is heavy...you should have C rated rubber on those rims. Again, check out www.vanagon.com Lots of very good people and information there.

145

There is a lot of good information from fellow VW owners. The one about C tires is a gem of a tip. I have a 1982 VW Camper and do a lot of long summer runs. I use Mobile1 50 W in the summer but this is now very difficult to find and my VW Specialist advised me to use 20 W 50 not necessarily synthetic as when this vehicle engine was made, synthetic old was not invented nor used. I am up to 250, 000 KM with my original engine but change my oil frequently. A lower body is required for cold winter driving which I do not do as the VW is off the road during winter.

145

There is a lot of good information from fellow VW owners. The one about C tires is a gem of a tip. I have a 1982 VW Camper and do a lot of long summer runs. I use Mobile1 50 W in the summer but this is now very difficult to find and my VW Specialist advised me to use 20 W 50 not necessarily synthetic as when this vehicle engine was made, synthetic oil was not invented nor used. I am up to 250, 000 KM with my original engine but change my oil frequently. A lower body is required for cold winter driving which I do not do as the VW is off the road during winter.

21,105

now I want one,sounds or better yet I know their great!

45

Thanks for the info. You all sound like you want to go on this trip. You should!

4,795

I took a 1986 Vanagon from Warner Robins GA to Anchorage Alaska in 1998...17 days. Cost me a rear heater core, A/C receiver/drier, radiator fan controller, and a transmission.

45

I did this same trip 5 months ago in a 17-foot uHaul towing a Bimmer. 4 Days. 4 Days of Hell. This time, I'm taking my time, camping in State/National Parks etc.

...you know think I have mentioned the troublesome coolant lines on these...be prepared!

I recommend Bodie (ghost town), the tioga pass in thru the eastern entrance to yosemite...beautiful country..this-

100,065

Mason - Rotella is on sale - Shell Rotella T6 5W-40 Heavy Duty Fully Synthetic Motor Oil (1 Gallon) Part No. 550019921 $22.99 was $27.99 ---- http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_x _8120031-P_x_x?cm_mmc=CSE-_-Pricegrabber-_-VALUE3-_- VALUE4&srccode=cii_5784816&cpncode=31-95907799- 2#utm_source=cse&utm_medium=pricegrabber&utm_campaign=value 3&utm_content=value4 ---

45

I am HAPPY to report, I made it home Saturday night. I used only two qts of oil! What an engine! I did get two flat tires, but I guess I deserve that for driving across the country on old tires. I love this van! Oh, and my Shady Boy awning blew off while camped in Ozona, Texas. I think I deserved that too ... This picture is of my trusty old van on the first night right before we set up to cam for the night at Kofa National Wildlife Refuge 40 miles north of Yuma, AZ

Was it a diesel or air cooled van ???