03 Mustang wont start need some diagnostic tips to figure out why?

75

Asked by Sep 20, 2013 at 06:32 PM about the 2003 Ford Mustang Base

I initially thought it was the cylinder lock since it feels like it is almost freely spinning inside the steering column but after replacing
it that is not the issue, but rather a symptom of something else.  I have tried starting it in many gears (it is a manual).  I have
tried jump starting it.  I get no sound from the starter when turning the key so my thought is that may be the issue.  I also do not
know much about clutches but could it somehow come into play with this problem?  It was a sudden stop working, so no symptoms
that lead to it no longer working.  Parked it and when to leave later and then it would not start.  Any help or diagnostic test would
be greatly appreciated.  I am also happy to answer any questions that might help this be fixed.

241,455

When you replace the lock cylinder, did you replace the igintion switch right below it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3ZR9ign2bI. That might be your problem. Can you check your battery voltage, what is it? Do you hear the fuel pump prime/buzz for 3 seconds when you turn the key?

Best Answer
20

It is most likely either a starter/solenoid or the clutch safety switch.

75

Ignition switch is my next attempt (20 bucks vs 150). The battery is dead, and I do not hear the fuel pump prime when I am jump starting it.

75

I also wanted to ask, If this was a starter/solenoid issue would it just up and die, or wouldn't it have trouble starting and after a couple of tries kick over?

20

If it was a starter it could up and die or fail immediately. Try to roll it off being that it is a manual. If it wont fire the fuel pump is not working like you stated and it is likely the ignition switch or other electrical issue.