Okay I have a 350 small block chevy that I want to put a new cam in it I want something that sounds good with a lope. I'm running 58cc heads which makes my compression 10:1.

Asked by Oct 25, 2015 at 10:44 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

I just wanted to know what's the biggest
cam I can get without using the vacuum
cannister?

26,535

ok.. if you tell me a bunch more and ill tell you just what to do...problem is you have not done anything to help me....what geers are in it???whats it weight??? what transmission...auto...????come on mannnn/gal...... its all in the center line / lobe center of the grind,,, what rpm does it turn now??? what intake system is on it????what are you using for exhaust...headers..im sure you are...are you ..what side header/tubes..?..HOW LONG IS THE COLECTOR....do you have a beefed up ign system?????what gas you running>???? you have power brakes right...you can go big on the cam and still make vacuum..over lap...want to spend a few dollars more and run a roller cam and lifters...here again what do you know/want it to do...you want a hyd,or solid...i dont play around with hyd acms anymore ..because today with all the good stuff..polly lock, stud girdle....... you dont even have to adjust a solid cam to often... put attn, kelly on your reply and some how give me a way to get back to yo... i feel id like to help you with this...one way or the other aftr i give you a good idea..there will be a bunch of people with different answers/ideas... i run several different brands..BUT..comp cams are a good start.. (.12-105-3 )but i can be way off...but not much..even herbert cams are good.. they made the first roller cams > and they are inexpensive..to bad i didnt know more....anyway if you find a came you want...think you want ..go one size smaller...then adjust everything with valve lash.rocker arm ratio,,,

73,055

chevyman66, Kelly can help you figure out what to do, but yes, needs more info. I have a roller Comp Cam, .560 lift, hydraulic roller lifters & rockers, heavy duty push rods because I put heavy duty valve springs in the heads. There is a lot to consider in putting in a bigger cam. I definitely had to look at all the other systems on my truck to get it tuned in right.

I don't know about the headers but I am running some for the exhaust. it's an auto transmission. It's got stock gears in it. Its also got power brakes. There's nothing done to the heads either

73,055

My truck is a Chevy Silverado, stock trany & gears, the only thing I did to the trany was put a heavier duty torque converter, and I set my motor up with the stock systems. My stock set-up is with a TBI injection system, I just found the largest TBI to replace original. I had to re-program my obd1 brain all so. One thing I haven't addressed on mine is if your getting on it and hit the breaks right after, there is not enough vacuum for the power breaks. Otherwise they are fine. Kelly will have some good input, but need to know what you are really looking to do...

73,055

I should mention, you say you wanted a cam that makes the motor lope. Well my cam is pretty fair, bigger than most around here, and mine dose not lope because of the ignition system, (stock in mine) I think the lope went out in the 70's with the introduction of HEI ignition.