83 crossfire camero only runs with fuel assist.(cup of gas). replaced maf;mas;iacv;fuel pump;computer; any ideas?

10

Asked by Aug 17, 2014 at 03:43 PM about the 1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 Coupe RWD

121,165

Is fuel pump coming on when key first turned to run position?

Float in carb stuck in up position..not letting fuel in bowl

78,125

Do you have a carburetor or fuel injection? -Jim

10

It is a crossfire fuel-injection not carb. The pump comes on when key is turned, has good signals and pressure. If I take the top of the throttle body off I have fuel squirting out and it will run as long as I pour gas into the throttle bodies. I've replaced wires, plugs, cap, rotor, coil, fuel filter 3 times. Purrs like a kitten when gas is poured in by a cup. No codes being thrown.

78,125

Have you tried holding your foot on the accelerator pedal slightly while trying to start it? It could be the IAC (Idle Air Control Valve). If you've replaced the IAC already did you set the pintle (plunger)? Before installing a new IAC on OBD I GMs the pintle must be set first. If it will run with your foot on the gas as well as when pouring gas into the throttle body that'd be my first guess. Also, some GMs from that period had a cold start valve or switch. Forgive me for not remembering the exact name, it's been awhile. This device allowed more fuel to reach the engine the same way as the choke did on carbureted engines. One other thing that comes to mind is a large vacuum leak (which you should hear) making the mixture too lean for the engine to run unless extra gas is poured in. HTH. -Jim