I am having trouble with my 81 Camaro Berlinetta Stalling.

5

Asked by Jul 10, 2013 at 10:15 PM about the 1981 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta

I have an 81 Camaro Berlinetta I just recently bought off a buddy of mine from work.  It
has the 305 5.0L small block V8.  It sat in a farmers field for 4 years and isn't in the
best of shape.  However all I did was throw in a new battery and tried to start it but
failed.  After diagnosing the problem being the fuel pump, I bought a new one from
Nappa Auto Parts and the car started up and actually sounded amazing for sitting for 4
years.  It drives around nice, all the gears work (Automatic), and even the brakes are
still working!  The power steering pump has a leak however.  That's easy enough to fix
though, anyway...  I started it up the other day and went to drive it around, but I found
out that now whenever I go up to or over 1500 RPM the car stalls out.  I am guessing
the fuel that sat in the tank for 4 years is likely the main problem.  Is there anything I
can to to improve the fuel?  I also once heard that if you mix and liter of diesel, and a
liter of ATF then put that in your gas tank (with a full tank of gas of course) that it will
clean out the old shitty fuel and whatever it caused wrong with the fuel system. Feel
free to e-mail me at dillon_luella-4ever@Hotmail.com

....well, I'd put a fresh fuel filter on there...check the vacuum lines what go to the fuel pressure regulator...as a matter of fact change all the ole' butyl rubber black hoses with silicone...then see where we stand as vacuum leaks will affect performance.....big time....report back when you've done this~

Best Answer

PS DO NOT mess around with the fuel~ fill it with 91 or 93 to the first click with Chevron with Techron...these ain't carburetors~ but entirely more fussy...I have confidence in four years...not letting out any volatiles, and so if you put the high-test gas in there should balance out the weak sister~

Littleguy, if it is runnin just fine, a/t level is good...air conditioner seems to work....new tires and I'd take it on a drive...pack a spare fuel pump in your trunk...used to take all kinds of spare parts I got from the junkyard in the trunk, such as a coil, distributor, voltage regulator (they had those then) and couple of extra v-belts~ so if there was any trouble I was packin' boy~

21,345

Whenever I resurrect a car that has been sittin' I know to take out the tank first thing and clean it- the gas goes bad and the moisture in the tank rusts it out- if it is just started after years of sittin' and rustin' all the crap in the tank is pumped up through the whole fuel system- you should go back to square one and just drop the tank and clean it- it's not that hard to do

5

On an older Camaro like mine it is a bitch to do. I have done a couple before. Plus it does have its good share of rust.