Car dies after battery runs out of power.

5

Asked by Jun 07, 2017 at 06:20 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Cavalier Z24 Coupe

Car runs on new battery  for two days then it dies can put a full charge and
battery and will run for 3 miles then it dies can jump it from another car and it
will run for about a mile got the alternator checked  and it's good  don't have
any other ideas what could be the problem.. digital dash doesn't work
properly only the mph works after 45.. any ideas?

175

If alternator is charging properly you still may have A bad battery. Have battery load tested after fully charged. Also check for bad or loose grounds..

5

I have a brand new battery in it, it will run for 2 days then on the third day it will be dead

5

It's the second battery I've put in it new from store

5

talked to a electrical guy and i did a test with all fuses with a test light on the neg. battery post with the test light on the wire (off of the battery obviously) and i started pulling fuses and the only one that dimmed the test light was the courtesy lamps/ cigar lighter. but i haven't had a fuse in that for months and it was out before i even had this problem, im thinking the diode in the alt. might be bad hins the reason im losing juice with the key on or off.. if anyone has any other ideas throw them out there at this point nothing is wrong.. haha

35

My 1986 Chevy Cavalier was doing the same thing, alternator tested good. Nobody could figure it out. Finally I got a new alternator and it has been running fine ever since