ignition timing problem

Bardo Hernadez

Asked by Dec 24, 2015 at 12:01 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

Y put the engine in t.d.c and the rotor to but still
don't start only have explosion on the exhaust

What did you do? May be 180* out.

Bob Beaman

Yup, there are 2 top dead centers and one has the number 1 cylinder valves open. One must remember the crankshaft turns twice for every one rotation of the cam shaft. Also make sure you are using cylinder number 1 for determining TDC. Not all auto manufacturers label the cylinders the same.

#1 on TDC on the compression stroke...

Remove the spark plug from the #1 cylinder and put your thumb over the spark plug hole. Have a helper bump the starter until you start to feel compression building (pressure under your thumb). Once that happens look at the timing marks on the front of the engine. Once the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is lined up with the large cutout on the sawtooth timing scale stop bumping the starter. Mark the location of the #1 spark plug tower of the distributor cap on the distributor housing. Remove the distributor cap and position the distributor rotor at the position of the #1 spark plug tower. Slowly install the distributor and note how much the rotor moves as the gears mesh inside of the engine. Now remove the distributor and set the rotor position again making the allowance for the rotor movement when the distributor is installed. Install the distributor again and lightly tighten it down. Install the distributor cap and spark plug wires making sure you have the correct wires on the correct towers. Now have your helper crank the engine as you slowly turn the distributor assembly one direction then the other until the engine starts. Make the final ignition timing adjustment using a timing light. HTH. - Jim