89 Chevy Caprice Classic-Radio Doesn't Work

Asked by Jun 16, 2014 at 07:07 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

just bought my 89 caprice, 83,000 miles on it.  Delco radio unit is one with the heating/AC unit, and its a great process to take it out.  when i turn radio on, i can hear crackle in speakers, the clock is stuck on 1:00, and cassettes simple wont play.  theyll stay in the radio, it wont spit them back out, but it wont make any noise. not sure if its even spinning the reel.

would it be worth it to buy a new radio/heating/AC console, or just deal with it? aftermarket radio, or replace the Delco?

Once you remove the trim plate the radio and heater controls are separate. Personally I'd look for an original replacement radio on ebay. But that's just me. You'll probably want to replace the speakers as well. After 25 years I'm sure they're sun bleached and worn out. HTH. -Jim