I have an 88 chevy caprice. the vehicle stalls out when its warm after work but will make the same distance drive in ht emorning with no problem. At night and on cold days it runs great.

Asked by Nov 17, 2016 at 11:44 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Brougham Sedan RWD

I have replaced fuel pump, fuel line, carburetor, ignition coil, alternator.  I had a mechanic look at it and he says that the fuel pump doesnt work when it gets hot, says the pump is defective.  What do you think?

I would probably go with what your mechanic says.

Which engine do you have? If it's a V8 it's carbureted and has a mechanical fuel pump. So I doubt it's the fuel pump. When it stalls will it restart? Or is it dead until the engine cools off. -Jim

I have a 5.0 and my fuel pump is in the tank. When it stalls it sounds as if I've run out of gas it sputters. Then in an or or so it'll crank up when I start it and run just fine.

Both the 5.0 305 and 307 cubic in V8 engines have a mechanical fuel pump mounted on the engine. Unless your car originally had a diesel or 6 cylinder in it. When it quits and won't restart check for spark. GMs from that time period are notorious for ignition control module failure. They'll work fine when cold but quit when they heat up. HTH. -Jim