I have a 1985 Chevy caprice classic that will start but after running for a few minutes it shuts off and won't start back up.after sitting for awhile it will start back up but it still shuts back off.

Asked by Mar 27, 2014 at 02:18 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Caprice Classic

10,825

First thing that comes to mind is your ignition module has failed. It sits under the distributor cap.

IMPORTANT!!! Before you go replacing parts (i.e. fuel filter/pump, relays, sending units) check for moisture damage. The caprice classic is notorious for leaking trunks. WATER KILLS ELECTRICAL HARNESS CONNECTORS! In the case of the caprice, two design flaws combine to cause many problems. If your trunk leaks it is usually the rear window trim - silicone seal across the entire bottom. Remove the driver's side inner wall trim in the trunk and inspect/clean/seal the harness connector. You will notice it is not weatherproof (flaw #2), and might have to be replaced/bypassed. A good mechanic is a good investigator and all the fancy tools in the world won't tell you the CAUSE of the problem is really just a bad electrical connection.

Fuel pump