Lights

Asked by Feb 03, 2017 at 03:09 AM about the 1984 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan RWD

I added and alarm on my 84 caprice and my dash
and tail light went out. I was told to change my
light switch. Well i didnt get it done within the week
so i decided to add a sound system in the trunk
and now my back break and back park light and
signal lights will not  work. I finally changed up my
light switch but still no lights.  But before that i was
removing the steering wheel to put a new one on i
was doing some banging on steering wheel. Wow i
kno right. Long story. Please any help.

118,195

Banging on the steering wheel most likely broke something inside the turn signal switch, hopefully replacing the switch will restore the brake lights and signals as they share a common circuit. Did you check for power when you replaced the headlight switch? Be aware that some of those aftermarket alarm systems can and do cause trouble, anywhere from killing light and horn to shutting down the entire ignition system. So check the fuses, main powers and grounding circuits.

Thanks for your answer. But it was corrosion on the ground wires. You did make a valid point so i did change the switch and it was bad too but working. I never would have looked at it if u didn't say anything

118,195

Just before I retired I noticed an upswing in grounding issues in almost every make and model I worked on, especially on some of the vehicles in the in the mid 80's all the way through the late 90's. Maybe it is this decider they use on the roads, I don't know, but glad you found the problem. Happy motoring.

Tennishoes I think u could be helpfull too a problem I'm having, no dashlights and no power too my ignition?! I had too remove two alarms too get it too fire when I bought it so where should I start?

My headlights and taillights went out on my 88 Caprice but the signals work fine I changed the fuse but idk wat else it cud be I cleaned the ground wire off still no power they was working fine then I cut them off and tried to cut them back on and they Neva came back on so wat shud I do next

118,195

Sounds like a broken circuit, you need a wiring diagram, ohm meter or test light and start tracing down the circuit for the signal/warning circuits. It maybe a switch but its rare that both would go at the same time.