Issue with battery on a 2013 Camry

Asked by Aug 16, 2016 at 03:47 PM about the 2013 Toyota Camry SE V6

I have a 2013 Toyota Camry that I bought brand-new from the dealer.   Before
I had the car a year, the battery died.  The dealer fixed it and said sometimes
that happens.   It has happened three more times.   Each time, the dealer
gives me excuses.   The last time this is happened (fourth time), the dealer
said that they checked everything. They checked the alternator, the wiring
and the battery. Again, they replaced the battery and assured me the car was
fine. Anyone else have this issue and what have you done to fix it? I am fed
up and tired of getting stranded.  4 times in three years is 3 times too many.

116,135

Have they actually looked at the waveform from the alternator? It is possible that it could be spiking and slowly takes out the battery. Also bad grounds can also cause a problem. I had a Lexus that was going through batteries also, checked everything, could not find a problem until I found a slight voltage surge from the alternator, it was only a volt or two, normally I wouldn't even think it would cause a problem, replaced it and the battery troubles went away. Also went to a gel type battery. HTH

79,185

I agree with tennisshoes. The alternator definitely needs to be looked at. Anyone can get one bum battery, but not 4! Especially within 3 years. There's definitely something going on with the charging system!! HTH. -Jim

3,990

You might have what we call a "parasitic drain? There may be times when you shut your car OFF....but...your computers are not all "going to sleep" There might be a Factory Service Bulletin concerning this very issue. More research needed.

3,990

Would you know if the Alternator on this vehicle has a CLUTCH type Pulley?

@last_chance_garage, I'm not sure, it is an automatic. Would that make a difference?

@last_chance_garage, where do I find out if there is a factory Service Bulletin for this issue? Any help is appreciated!

3,990

Some Toyota's have a special feature on the Alt. The part of the Alt. that the drive belt rides on is called a pulley. That pulley may be a clutch type pulley. Toyota has had problems with vehicles having this special pulley. Google "Toyota TSB-0055-12". Since I am not there to inspect your car....Toyota should be able to tell if your vehicle has a Alt. with a clutch type pulley Back to the other possibility ....parasitic drain(test). This is a special test any competent mechanic can perform. Let us know where you go with this problem..

This isn’t a answer but can’t find the question box anywhere, but for some reason my car is still slowly drawing. I changed everything for the charging system. It’s still slowly draining. I have no clue but that bug test. Also where do I do that for my 2012 Toyota Camry SE 2.5?? Pls help me

3,990

May I assume you have a 2012 Toyota ...2.5 liter engine who'ls battery goes dead? Any warning lights on or flashing when the engine runs?

3,990

5dcmd.....did you ever resolve the issue with this vehicle?

3,990

Karrie....are you still having a issue with your vehicle? What was the fix?

I have the same problem. Replaced the battery. If the car is not driven every single day, the battery will drain.

116,135

Then you have an excessive battery draw when the key is off. You will need to run the battery draw test to find the problem. As with all vehicles always start by electrically disconnecting the alternator as the first step when running the test, if the light just glows after than you have found your draw, if not then move on.

Would it be possible that the plugged in iPhone charger cord is the problem? (I have zero car knowledge.)

116,135

Yes it could especially if it is a high output one. Never leave auxiliary equipment plugged in overnight.