Solenoid sticking

10

Asked by Jun 24, 2016 at 05:35 PM about the 1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature

Bought 1988 Lincoln town car 3 yrs ago and seem to be having solenoid issues. 1st bought new solenoid and two weeks later the solenoid stuck but this time when I turned off ignition the car kept trying to start, the started kept going until I took battery cable off. Bought a remanf starter and no problems for a yr. 2nd yr started having solenoid sticking again and put new solenoid on . That yr I had bought the best solenoid they had. end of yr and the next I had solenoid probklems twice and it wouldn't shut off without removing cable twice. Someone told me to tap on the solenoid & that worked for awhile until it wouldn't shut off and I burned up the solenoid, starter cable & positive cable & the starter all in one shot. Replaced starter, solenoid, positive cable and it would work 4 or 5 times then solenoid stuck again. Put on brand new negative cable & brand new starter (no remanf) so everything pertaining to the starting system is brand new. started 5x and then the solenoid stuck and turned off ignition & kept trying to start anyway. Had to remove cable to stop it. working on this for 1 1/2 months and am frustrated. Can anyone help? RHO

12,385

It's not the #2 gauge wires, it the signal line to the solenoid the starters are fine, there continuing to be energized (solenoid) when the starting circuit should cancel the voltage to it.. Use a multimeter and chase this down in an hour or less or pay $100 and all done.on such an old car the first thing I check out is the ignition switch wore out or partially engaged at times simple CHECK it FIRST. Regards