1984 lincoln town car having a couple problems can anyone shed a little light?

Asked by Feb 08, 2014 at 06:13 PM about the 1984 Lincoln Town Car Base

i have some sort of leak dripping from the front of my engine (302 5.0 base) its possible its
oil smelt like burning oil but it could also be a brake line i don't know where the leak is
coming from just the area my question being are there any break lines near the timing
cover or in that area? Hopefully i don't have a front main seal out. Im also hearing a
vibrating metal sound kinda like my muffler is vibrating towards the rear passenger side
maybe a brake line there? reason I'm asking is because I've had this leak and this noise
problem for about a month now and all of a sudden i have to floor my brakes to even get it
to slow down a little bit so if anyone could help please and thank you.

209,805

Get the brakes look at ASAP, you don't want to injure yourself or others. The rattling might be a loose exhaust connection. With driving a '84 model year, I'm sure there is rust under there. The oil leak might be unrelated.

1,185

Sounds like you have a couple of different issues going on. The brakes need attention IMMEDIATELY. The master cylinder is on the fire wall, right at the top, immediately in front of the driver's seat. From there, 2 lines go down to the frame rail to the proportioning valve. 3 lines come off the proportioning valve: One to the driver's front caliper, one runs across the back of the front cross member to the passenger side caliper, and the third runs down the driver's side frame rail and up, over the back axle, and to the centre of the car where the flex line to the back axle is. the outlet from the flex there has 2 outlets, one to each rear wheel cylinder. Front flex lines are $18 each, the rear is about $35. The steel lines may all be due for replacement by now. If so, do the fuel lines at the same time, as the supply and return lines run through the same clips as the rear brake line. The oil at the front does sound like it is the timing chain cover or front seal starting to leak. It could be the oil pan gasket, too. If you do have to drop the pan, do both front and rear seals at the same time. The up charge is not so bad as having to drop the pan 3 times. The rattle at the back sounds like it could well be a loose hanger for the tail pipe. If so, it is a cheap and easy fix in the driveway.