No high beams on Lincoln 1984 TownCar

Asked by Oct 04, 2013 at 08:35 PM about the 1984 Lincoln Town Car Signature

I just replaced the sealed head lights on my 1984 LIincoln Towncar, the old ones didnt works
save for one low-beam that was very tired. So all new beams (hi and lo), and the high beams
still dont work. How can i test to see if the headlight dimmer still works?

6,925

Use a test light and check for power at the switch or when its quiet outside, some times you can hear or feel it "switch" from high to low if the area is quiet and the car is in "Key On, Engine Off" position. If for some reason you have the old foot operated hi/low switch then use a test light to check for power.

1,315

I am guessing that when you turn on the highbeams the low beam lights go out, and you are left with no lights at all. That is normally the relay for the highbeam, located in the dimmer switch, which is integral with the turn signal switch. On that car, you just need to undo the two screws that hold the shroud on the column and then the 2 screws that hold the switch in place. It is a pretty easy fix.

The high beams are operable via dimmer control only. So if i turn the hi- beam dimmer to "off" or"low", then they should turn on. The low beams stay on throughout it all btw. In fact they only went out last winter, the sealed beams had a good 1/2 cup of water in them when i finally replaced them.

1,315

Actually, your low beam bulbs are dual filament, and go to high beam at the same time as the inner, high beam only, bulbs light up. If your switch is working, when you turn on the highbeams and the relay inside the switch is good, then the outboard bulbs will go to bright. If nothing happens, then the switch is defective. If the lowbeam bulbs go out, then you have a defective relay inside the switch. That is why I asked what's going on.