will a 5 speed transmission fit in my colt?

Asked by Dec 02, 2010 at 08:35 PM about the 1991 Dodge Colt 2 Dr GL Hatchback

i have a 1991 dodge colt, it has a 1.5 liter engine and bolted to it is a 4 speed man. transmission.  my transmission bit the dust last week and i was wondering if i could replace it with a 5 speed man. transmission with out replacing the motor. and if i can would anyone know where id be able to find one.

I just replaced mine with a 5 speed from the junkyard. Just make sure it is a cable clutch and not a hydraulic! My gas mileage went down a few miles to the gallon. I wish I could have found a good 4 speed. The motor can stay in the car while you replace the tranny. Inspect the flywheel and replace the clutch while you are in there! Good luck.

geobass, I have been looking for a 4spd as well with no luck. What applications of cars can I use to try to find a 5sp tranny? I could not find anything under the 91 colt 5 spd either.

Go here: http://www.4g61t.org/forum/index.php All the info is there. It is a great CSM Community!

I have a complete 76 model colt with a good 4 speed manual trans

For sale