I have owned this 1989 Mark VII for 5 years and 40,000 of its 78,000 miles, and I love the car. Last week the motor would turn over but not fire. After checking the usual culprits, I found the by th

10

Asked by Jan 27, 2015 at 05:25 PM about the 1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

Motor cranks but won't fire.  Replaced the ignition module and ignition switch but now to
start the engine, I have to "sneak up" on the start postion of the key lock or the engine will
just crank and not fire.  Tried a second new switch and lengthening the mounting holes in
the switch - same result.  Any ideas?

39,175

If it cranks but won't fire, I would try putting in a new coil. Have you pulled a plug wire to see if you have good spark? Is it getting fuel? You may also have a bad fuel pump. What have you checked so far?

If I remember right that ignition switch assembly just plugs in to a connector behind it...please correct me if that's wrong. And no PATS. Could be in that connection, wires getting old.

Best Answer
10

Found the problem at the connector where the ignition bypass circuit meets the ignition circuit. The bypass circuit was not making contact. Cleaned connector, everything works as it should. Said connector is located under hood near left-front of engine. Thanks, Mike

Right on Glad you got it. I had faith in you

195

A clean connection is a happy connection :)