I need some advice on my fuel pump.

7,065

Asked by Jan 30, 2013 at 11:00 PM about the 1989 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

Hi! So when I tried to start my car this morning, it would not start.... I could hear my fuel pump trying
to 'prime' but it would continuously prime for 2 minutes or so and it was very loud and inconsistent. It
would continue to prime even after the key was taken out of the ignition (Is this normal!? Or
something like a sticking relay?) I could also hear some sort of sound coming from the engine... Like
fuel being sucked in or pushed out of someplace while the pump was trying to prime. It was pretty
loud. have known that the fuel pump was going bad for quit some time now because it has been
getting progressively louder for a few weeks now. I had it towed to my mechanic but he won't be
able to get to it until tomorrow afternoon. So do fuel pumps ever fail like this? Is it normal for them to
continue to prime even after the key is out of the ignition? What was that sucking noise? Some
guidance and asurance from the CarGurus community would be much appreciated! :D
- Joey

Are you sure it was the fuel pump that you heard? The '89 Mark VII has air ride, and the compressor will run even if it is parked, off. That 'sucking' sound could be air attempting to inflate the bladders and leaking out... Just a guess. Which has nothing to do with the starting issue

Best Answer Mark helpful
7,065

It definitely was not the air ride. Thanks for the response David... the compressor is in the front of the car and I am familiar with the sounds the air ride makes. I know it was the fuel pump being loud. I am just confused about the fuel pump continuing to run once the car was off.

Paste this in and read it, it's pretty good. May help ...http://www.automd.com/search?t=ys&q=1989+Lincoln+Mark+VII+problems

120

ok this is old post but like me I like to read answers so here you go on my 94 towncar the fuel pump was new and after a wile it did the some thing so the fix after I could here the pump run ok now the fix is that the hose hooked to the pump in the tank broke in two so I was not getting the proper fuel took pump out fixed the line and it still works