I have a 87'Lincoln Lsc that has no get up and go. The engine idles perfectly when sitting, but when I put it in drive and go I have to put my foot all the way down to the floor just to get it to move and the transmission even shifts in perfect time even the overdrive works once I finally get up to a decent speed.

Asked by Jun 06, 2013 at 12:07 PM about the 1987 Lincoln Mark VII LSC

Also, my brake accumulator went bad
the other day on me so I was told
because I now have to stop way
ahead of me before I actually stop
and at the time when it went
completely bad my A/C and turn
signals stopped working as well, but
there are no fuses blown either.
What's the problem here?

21,765

This car has a 5.0L right? There are many things to look at as far as performance goes, everything from engine timing, plugged catalytic converters to low compression (it is an old timer). Start with the basics: filters, ignition timing (some people really mess things up by trying to set the timing without disconnecting the SPOUT jumper). And check the engine for codes. Since this is an EECIV (pronounced eek-4) system, It won't necessarily set a Check Engine light. A compression test will give you a good idea of the engine's internal condition. If the Brake Booster has failed, it could be dumping more vacuum than the Computer can make up for and driving the MAP Sensor crazy. As far as the AC and Turn Signals go, Judging by your description, I would look at the Fuseable Links at the Starter Solenoid on the inner fender and then at the Ignition Switch (the one under the dash not where the key goes). Sounds like she needs a lot of TLC but in my opinion, these are great cars.

21,765

I forgot to mention vacuum leaks and sticking EGR valves. The Ford 302 is notorious for leaking intake manifolds. Too, because of their design, the EGR Valve tends to collect a lot of carbon and get wedged open. No Check Engine Light - just a big loss of performance.

175

mustang71167, Before throwing parts at your 1987 Lincoln Mark VII, replace the ignition switch. ALL PRE 1990 LINCOLN MARK VIIS SHOULD HAVE THEIR FACTORY IGNITION SWITCHES REPLACED (http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/tech/1984ignitionSwitch.pdf) A bad ignition switch will give false test results and is a possible fire hazard. Like Tracy said, all of your TUNE UP ITEMS need to be addressed first (http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=192). Completing this almost always corrects any performance issues. Don't cut corners or install used parts. You'll be amazed at the responsiveness of our Luxury Sport Coupes.

175

mustang71167, Do not drive the car until the brake system is working 100%. The number one cause for brake issues in our Lincoln Mark VIIs is contaminated fluid. Have a seasoned shop completely flush the system, making sure to never let the reservoir go empty, with 24-36 ozs of fluid before proceeding. Do not re-use brake fluid from bleeding operation. Change your brake fluid every 2-3 years or 30-60K miles.