What is causing my car to shut off when I'm driving?

Asked by Jun 22, 2015 at 03:53 PM about the 1981 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 Dr Base Convertible

My 81 VW Rabbit will start and run all day but when I drive it, it only drives for about half
hour and then shuts off. And then when I tow it back home it will start right up but then
only drives for another half hour and does the same thing.

68,705

Sounds like the ignition module is getting hot and shutting down. When it quits, check for spark. If you have no spark then the ignition module is my first suspect. Sometimes they're sneaky. They'll work fine when cold but as soon as they heat up, they fail. HTH. -Jim

1,445

Agree, ignition module likely culprit. Other possibility ignition coil.