My 89 VG Golf is having problems Idling.

Asked by Feb 03, 2015 at 11:16 AM about the 1989 Volkswagen Golf 2 Dr GL Hatchback

I recently just got a 1989 VW Golf. I'm massive fan of the car and it's look. but I've
been having some trouble lately. So it starts up fine and runs. but when its started up.
it has a hard time staying idle or sounds almost sounds like the engine is bout to cut
out, and then revs back up again. Anyone have a clue what the problem could be.
(however sometimes I run it and it's just fine.) But I've stop driving it after hearing the
initial idling problem

Also I'm just sort of lost of what everything is under the hood. if anyone can help point
out stuff for me that would great!

Also I chatted with the guy that sold it to me and asking what type of oil it uses and
he told me 5w 30. however I can't find out if that correct or not. ( Just want to keep
sure b4 going out and driving it some more)

The idle problem may just be the throttle position sensor is bad or a lose vacume hose,and this year model car, i would run 10w40 oil in it.The TPS is located on the throttle body.

Tps sensor

Buy yourself a can of throttle body cleaner. The throttle body is the big silver thing behind the black valve cover. You will want to remove the big rubber intake pipe. Clean your throttle body and IAC valve. (Idle Air Control Valve) If either one of those components gets gummed up, it will greatly affect the idle. Here is a short video if you've never done it before. You may want to just do a tune up also since you just got the car. Unless you know for sure what the last guy did on it for upkeep.

Thanks I'll definately have a look at that. and yeah gonna go ahead and go have a tune up on it. Also I've notice something on the hose connected to the throttle cover. I've circled it here and zoomed in on it. it's like I can feel air flowing out every time the engine trips in idle. idk if this is suppose to do that

These older modal cars can be very ercsome especialy the audi 5000 series cars which is what i used to own. The most comman issues with idle was the stupid fuel injection assembly which i thankfully do not see on your engine since it was a major pain in the arse, and the idle control valve, maf and spark plugs cables and rotor/distributor cap. Also some of the older coils can get give a bad idle. so if you still have a bad idle after replacing and tunning hte car have the voltage checked from the coil.

check under throttle body for a switch that looks like max throttle switch that is on top of throttle body. It is activated when throttle at idle--puts computer in idle mode.

This is what the idle control valve look like: