Runs at idle, stalls when tranny is engaged

20

Asked by Jan 22, 2015 at 11:04 PM about the 1992 Dodge Stealth 2 Dr R/T Hatchback

Bought a 1992 Stealth to tinker and had a few issues.  Main issue is it idles usually okay but when I put it in drive/reverse or when I pull up to stop light/sign, it goes dead.  I am wondering PCV valve or other vacuum related problem under load when the tranny is engaged.  Is the 3.0 non-turbo.  Another issue is it won't heat up enough to run properly.  Was driving it in very very cold weather and the temp was not going very high at all and it would lose power and run rough and then heat up for a short time and then get cold again.  Smokes pretty bad so I know I am prolly in for a major rebuild but I want to try to iron out some things before I get into that because I would have to pay good money as I can't find anyone who wants to work on it!

23,055

Sounds like it maybe already overdue for its major overhaul. There are a few Stealth/3000GT experts on here but I would also try the stealth/3000gt forums. Good Luck

20

You are prolly correct! I screwed myself on this EBAY "bargain" that was listed by a complete lie but I had flown to Orlando, FL from Oklahoma to drive the "super" car back and it cost me 2 nights in hotels, a towing bill, 2 belts and labor, and a rental charge to tow it back home. The car is in good condition overall just runs like crap and EBAY would not help me at all. SURPRISE! So I nutted up and got it home and am finally gonna start on it myself because I can't get any mechanics around here to even touch it so I am on my own and I know I will end up with a new motor but I want to see what I can do. Look forward to enjoying this site to learn all I can. Have a great day.