I am looking to buy a 1989 VW Cabriolet convertible are they known for anything to go wrong minor or major

Asked by Sep 19, 2013 at 07:32 PM about the 1989 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

25,625

Due to the car's age, there isn't a lot in terms reliability ratings from places like Consumer Reports, Edmunds.com, or KBB.com. However, here are some of the Pros and Cons reported by owners: PROS: Enjoyable, nice and affordable convertible. It handles very well. Great on gas. Few problems so far with it. Just repairs. You can depend on this car as long as you have your fuel system in constant check. No major problem for an 100,000 mile plus car. It rides so smooth compared to the 1985 Nissan Sentra which has the same wheel base dimensions and less miles. It gets a cuteness rating of 10 as long as you're a chic it's the car for you. -----CONS: The fuel system has created a problem for me in the past once it reached 100, 000 first fuel injectors the fuel pump relay and finally the heart of the problem once it stopped running and had to tow it.... the fuel pumps (yes pumps) the pre-pump and the integrated internal pump inside the tank was bad. After it was fixed runs perfectly again. ----- some major engine problems if not taken care of properly...DO NOT ATTEMPT TO YOUR SELF!!! you'll make it worse -----Not very many accessories or comforts. Air conditioning and heater leave much to be desired. Acceleration is poor.

Best Answer

I'd love to own one myself...in fact was offered one with bad Axles and CV joints, but had to pass for economic reasons, but these cars seem to be troublesome...I don't know why...they are just volkswagens~

I thought these had the Bologna of fireballs fuel pump along the kick panel~ perhaps the designed changed to in tank 'round 1998 when dramatic fireball roll-overs were occuring...that's when they went nutzo with the ASD's and the touch-bumper Ford fuel shut-off (without tellin' ya) and a new generation of cautious pressurization of the explosive due largely to lawsuits occurred~

yah, I was right, yours has the "kielbasa of fury" fuel pump~

25,625

Hey...I love kielbasa!! Don't talk bad about it!! LOL!!

I know about these...you will need two special fuel cut-off clamps to begin butchering the VW~

you will need these~

5,660

Hey judge_roy take a look at my post about a 2002 ford escape and let me know what you think would cause that proplem. I know this is not the place to ask on someone elses post. But I do respect your input

140

Great car. Although Cabbys have been tagged as "chick cars", I am pointing out more guys than girls own them. The heater is good (I live in Canada and the heater keeps me warm at -40). The top is well insulated. Although these cars have been out of production since 1992, it is still rather easy to find parts for them. I have an '87 I bought new, and still drive it regularly. They are a simple design and easy to fix.

We have a 1989 cabriolet with approx 70k.milles. garages for the past 20 years. Just painted masseratti red,new top!! Gorgeous. In our garage in boca raton florida. call Bernie at 9177834093.