Rough running while cold

Asked by Apr 02, 2015 at 11:08 AM about the 1988 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

1988 cabriolet 1.8 litre.
No power.  Began happening very irregularly after running it hard - shutting down and
then getting into it an hour later.  Could almost predict it - idle speed would drop from
1200 to 1000.  After 10 min. it would correct itself.  Now it is happening every start up
in the morning.
Is this the cold start valve?

Chris Van Kleeck

Is the car running rough? A 1988 Cabriolet should have Digifant fuel injection, which would have a coolant temperature sensor that tells the ECU to enrich the fuel mixture. I don't believe that this sytem uses a "cold start valve". The earlier models, with CIS-E fuel injection, had a fifth fuel injector, on the intake manifold, to aid in cold starts.