Idles to fast

Asked by Apr 07, 2015 at 02:02 PM about the 1986 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

Idles to fast, cuts off when in gear

1,345

You need to check for vacuum leaks; disconnected or frayed hoses or plastic tees, etc. Vacuum leaks will allow the idle to be too high, and the CIS-E fuel injection system depends on good engine vacuum to operate properly.

140

1979 to 1988 Cabriolets are CIS fuel injected. NOT CIS-e. Generally look for vacuum leaks, but I suggest replacing the O-Ring on the idle adjust screw located on the rear of the throttle body assembly.

Thank you....my brother did find 2 vacumn leaks which improved the idle, but still cutting off after running for a few minutes. Someone says it may be the fuel flow sensor. Any feedback on that would be appreciated. We are not too familiar with foriegn autos and I will most likely end up selling, but want to fix the problem first.

I also heard it could be the fuel pump and read where it has 2 fuel pumps and can be removed through the floorboard under the back seat! Help...

140

The main fuel pump is underneath the car. Located just forward of the rear right wheel. The fuel transfer pump is in the fuel tank, and can be accessed from under the rear seat. If you go to http//www.toplessrabbit.com you will find both help and how to advice. The fuel pump in the tank would be my next choice for the stalling out issue.

Best Answer