Alternator belt rubbing against engine. 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet.

Asked by Jun 08, 2014 at 12:35 PM about the 1985 Volkswagen Cabriolet Base

I just recently installed a new alternator into my 1985  Volkswagen Cabriolet and the belt is rubbing against the engine so badly it is starting to smoke. Did I do something wrong with the installation or get the wrong part?

112,235

Both is very possible. Also double check belt routing?

22,725

you can not run the engine with a belt rubbing up against something- you should have noticed this when you put the new one on- take the alternator back off and compare the bracket on the new one to the mounting points on the old one- are they the same- did you leave a washer off where the mounting bolt goes through? maybe?