what is the purpose for the switch under the dash on the driver side

20

Asked by Jan 08, 2016 at 10:15 PM about the 1989 Cadillac Fleetwood Base Sedan

66,165

Can you post a picture? -Jim

Best Answer
335

On my '89 Chevy Caprice it's the switch to open the trunk from inside the car. You slide it down, trunk opens, then the switch releases back towards driver.

20

Js08016 here is a pic

20

dlw1016a, thanks but it did nothing for the trunk

66,165

That's not from the factory. It could have been put there by someone to get the climate control fan to work. The climate control systems in these cars are pretty much Cadillac only. Meaning that if the mechanic isn't familiar with the system he's not going to be able to fix it. Have you tried flipping the switch with the car running? It could also be for the a/c compressor. Again, part of the climate control system. These are just guesses. I've seen people bypass the climate control system this way to get it to "work". HTH. -Jim