what is it worth

Asked by Oct 27, 2013 at 04:53 PM about the 1989 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe

kelley blue book---kbb.com

There are really too many variables to put into one little box like this, but here goes...first off when you open the hood, do you see evidence of a prior overheat...if you open the radiator cap is the coolant still green (or yellow if dexcool is used)? we do not want a bunch of rust-water as coolant...period~ next sight down the car from a distance of perhaps 30 feet and see if it waivers a bit...examine the frame and underbelly for evidence of having been previously salvaged....smell the transmission oil to see if it's black or burnt...smell the interior to see if it smells like a pizza delivery car, the cigar lighter was actually used to light cigars or was taken on a long trip where uncle decided to take his socks off on a long trip permanently affecting the carpet smell making it NO longer a NEW car...the seats should not be torn or sunken in, the car should track straight and not have ANY free play in turning left and right...the exhaust should be smelled to see if it's carboney, coolanty, white, blue oilsmoke or white coolant leak...should be run on a dynamometer to check engine performance (your smog checker should be doin' this~) paint being faded is totally okay if the body doesn't need the occasional shopping cart inflection in the door panels~...all of this will not be evident in the kbb report~