I just purchased an 85 Eldorado with 35,000 miles. After taking it for a 10 minute drive, I found the hood and the front grill were real hot to the touch ... Is this bad or am I paranoid?

Asked by Aug 10, 2015 at 06:17 AM about the 1985 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe

May be normal if your temperature gauge is working and shows in the normal range and no problems with the cooling system. Is it a light or gauge on the dash for temperature?

Bob Beaman

What was the air temperature like the day that you drove it?

Yes! No lights, gauges fine. The air temp was 81, and it is very humid. This is the first older car I have bought. It was inspected by a mechanic before purchase. It is just that the warmth of the hood took me by surprise ... As you can tell cars are not my forte Thanks!!!

Probably normal, is there a fiber mat under the hood?

Bob Beaman

Hoods get pretty warm, if the temperature gauge showed normal and you didn't lose any coolant I would say it might be normal.

Best Answer

There is a fiber mat and I took it for a drive today and all seemed well!!! Thank you everyone!