89 cadillac deville stalled and wont start

90

Asked by Jul 26, 2014 at 01:47 PM about the 1989 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

I have an 89 cadillac deville that stalled a week ago on my way home and i can not get
it to start.  I disconnected the battery and charged it, hooked it back up and it started
and ran for 30 seconds and stalled.  i restarted it and it ran for about 2 minutes and
stalled.  now it will not restart at all. just turns over.  it throws a error code 52 which is
a ECM reset code.  i purchased a new ECM and installed it but that wasnt the
problem.  can anyone help?A

65,705

Check fuel pressure,sound,s like may be bad fuel pump.

90

I haven't checked the fuel pressure due to not having the tools, but i can tell you that i have taken the air intake apart and watched the injectors as it was turned over and gas was spraying into the carb with no problems. it appeared to have good pressure out of the injectors.

65,705

Ok,have you check for fire at plug?

65,705

All so,you said it stalled,when it done this were you moving?

90

It did start a couple times as i stated, but didnt run very long before stalling. Yes i was on my way home, a mile away at that. I had just accelerated around a corner, started letting off the gas and the car just shut right down. no lights, no warning, no nothing. just shut down

65,705

Check your timing,may have jumped,this is what it sound,s like may have happened.

90

As you probably already know, i am no mechanic. how do i go about checking the timing and if it is off how do i go about adjusting it?

65,705

It take,s a little knowledge of mechanics,but if you know where your number one plug is,pull it out,turn crank by hand,with battery cable off first,get the number one piston to top dead center,that mean,s right at the top before it drop,s,then check the mark, on the crank pulley at very bottom of motor to see if it is in allinement,then go up top,remove valve cover to check cam marks to see if they are inline with timing mark,s.If you are not to familar with this find a mechanic to check it for you.

90

i will probably have to find someone to help me with this. thanks for your time and i will let you know if this works just as soon as i can get it checked.

90

so i went out and messed with the caddy again today and found that it has no spark going to the plugs. I would have said the timing as well but this would not have caused no spark. a friend made the suggestion of the coil or the ignition module. does either of these make sense to you? thanks

90

turned out to be the ignition module, thanks for all your help.