Whhat type of Block is in the 88 Deville FWD V8

20

Asked by Dec 26, 2013 at 08:28 AM about the 1988 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

I have an 88 Deville FWD and am about to repair the engine coolant leaks, is this engine an aluminum block engine or cast iron? What type of engine is it and who and where was the manufacturer of the engine. I have a manual being sent to me in Chile by Helm Inc. Is the information in their publications pertinent to my vehicle ie 1988 Deville/Fleetwwod.
you Help would be greatly appreciated in this matter. I am also in search of a component location diagram for the engine in my Vehicle, any suggestions?
Regards
Albatross1969

24,035

Check the compression in the cylinders- in 1988, the Cad got a 4.5 litre V8 with Aluminum block and cast iron heads- these engines are famous for leaking- if the head gets warped, especially from overheating, the block can suffer, too- hopefully, your coolant leaks are not too serious

20

Thank you for your comment, and yes I will do comp chk and hope that the coolant leak is external and not internal. Being a Ford enthusiast from oz I am new to Caddys and this one I inherited, so if it has too many problems I can bury it. 92k on clock is a young pup still though.