1965 Ford Mustang 4 barrel carburetor bowl keeps flooding over. What to do next??

Asked by Aug 31, 2015 at 06:23 PM about the 1965 Ford Mustang Standard Fastback

I have a 1965 Ford Mustang Fastback with a 289-4V Engine.  I purchased a UREMCO 4100 carburetor at AutoZone and exchanged mine (it was in need of a rebuild).  I installed the carburetor and the bowl flooded and gas went everywhere (I'm assuming that the needle valve stuck open).  I took it back and they sent it back to the vendor.  The vendor bench tested it and said everything was fine and told me that I probably had debris in my gas since the car is old.  I got it back, installed a new fuel pump, put in an inline filter and ran some gas out to make sure it was clear.  However, since re-installing it, I'm still having the same problem.  Unfortunately, it is past the warranty period (plus the vendor has already told me it is my issue, not theirs).  Any suggestions as to what to do next?

105,535

The float needs to be adjusted in the carburetor, im socked at UREMCO Ive been using there reman carbs for years with no problems. You fuel system is very simple. I would bring it to a local rebuilder if you have one near your home and have them test the float and seat neddle and readjust the level...

Thanks for the quick response. I thought that might be the issue as well, but since UREMCO checked that on their bench test I kind of ruled that out. I guess it's possible that's still the issue, though...

49,295

Needle could be sticking, float may need to be adjusted. I would have rebuilt the old one myself unless the throttle shafts were worn out.

Bob----in hindsight, you are probably correct. I should have just rebuilt the old one. Thank you.