would I be able to just swap out the level ride shocks in my 84 deville for regular shocks?

Asked by Aug 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM about the 1984 Cadillac DeVille Sedan FWD

just wondering if ill run into any issues swapping the old level ride shocks for some regular gas shocks?

personally I would at least put on a set of airshocks. My father had me remove his from his 96 model and the car would bottom out w/ people in back seat. It can be done but you may not be happy with it.

Nothing is easy on these cars. My '93 has load leveling shocks and I would stick with them even though they are a significant step up in cost. If you appreciate the ride quality, standard shocks will not cut it. Cadillac parts are not needed but aftermarket air shocks wouls be the right choice.

Personally, I prefer a firm ride in a car. If you want to go with normal shocks, you will need to change the springs as well. Given the age of the car, you may well be due for springs anyway. Cargo Coils from MOOG are a good choice, as they are a variable rate. Smooth when unladen, but hold weight quite nicely. Add a set of Monroe Severe Service shocks all the way around and you will be more than pleased with the ride. I did this on my 78 Electra Limited coupe (same frame, same body shell) and was very happy indeed.

Strutmasters.com -check it out (nice complete kits for 1994 deville so probably have somnething for your car)