My 87 Cadillac brougham will start but not turn over. Ive changed the ignition module, spark plugs, coil, map sensor n fuel filter. It gets gas although the spark is low any suggestions?

Asked by Mar 29, 2015 at 10:47 AM about the 1987 Cadillac Brougham Base Sedan

615

Try a fresh set of plugs you may have killed the old ones with gas, before you change them give the car a shot of either see if it makes an attempt to start it may just clean out the cyl's enough to run. I would still change the plugs after all that gas.

Changed plugs n wires n i put ether. In it with the same result it wont turn over

615

Did you check the rotor look on the back for a black spot, the full spark gets grounded into the distributor, just a hunch something I remember from the old days. By rights if you have fire and gas it should fire up, the only link between the coil is the coil wire and the rotor that might account for weak spark.

I changed rotor cap i got the ignition module tested even though its new n swapped map sensor out n still the same

615

Did you try a different coil?

Could the timing b off? I removed the 1st spark plug n the piston is moving, but if it jumped a tooth would that stop it from starting? If so do that mean i have to change the timing chain?

615

You can tell if the timing chain jumped, first get number one piston to the top then look at the crankshaft marks align the marks on the front pulley, then check for the piston at TDC. usually when the chain jumps the engine will turn on the starter like an engine without spark plugs in the holes I would have the coil tested it's not really likely the chain jumped unless you have loads of miles on it but anything is possible

I got the coil tested they said its good i bought a new on anyway n put that in there n still no luck! The piston is moving i held a straw down n the first spark plug hole so the timing chain is moving im all out of ideas

615

The piston will move if the T-chain jumped so what you did really didn't prove anything. what you need to do is see if the Timing mark on the front pulley lines up when the piston is all the way to the top of the cyl. As long as it is close it means the chain is OK, by all rights it should run if you have spark gas and compression this is one of those times I wish I could check it myself to eliminate problems. Got me stumped wish I could help more

Moved the distributor n it was trying to start, like it was catching but it seemed way off timing

615

If it tried to start that is a sign that the chain jumped, you might be able to jump the wires ahead one hole on the cap but it may only run a short time that way. Now you know what it is time for a chain sorry about that maybe you can recoup some of the money on the parts you bought because your old stuff is good to put back. Good luck, now comes the hard part should you repair it or sell it

Ty for ur help gratitude, but im putting a new timing chain set on it, im gonna leave the other stuff on since its there already one less problem i have to worry about later