how to change waterpump on 1989 allante

Asked by Jul 08, 2014 at 04:24 PM about the 1989 Cadillac Allante Base Convertible

do I need a wheel puller to remove the serpentine belt pullies to remove water pump?

70

I changed mine about a year ago and didn't need to use a puller. The only thing that surprised me was the Torx Head screws in the center of the pump. They were a bear to get out and I even had to replace one of them due to stripping it out.

I replaced my water pump on Allante and removed it again when leaking near the timing marker occurred. Measurement revealed the GMD replacement water pump had a .055 warp and could not seal. Next I bought a Borsch replacement water pump and measured it first to find a .022 warp in the water pump. Next stop the dealer $271 and check it for warp.