my 1988 Allante top will only go partially down

Asked by Dec 30, 2015 at 07:04 PM about the 1988 Cadillac Allante FWD

My 1988 Allante top will only go partially down.  The back window folds down properly, and the part of the top that attaches to the windshield folds down until it reaches the back of the seats, but then will not fold down the rest of the way.  The springs on each side of the top extend properly, but the top seems to be hanging up on something.  Any suggestions?  I would really like to put my hard top back on, but can't until I figure out how to put my convertible top all the way down.

9,375

Those tops can certainly be finicky at times. Out of adjustment, lack of lubrication, etc are all possibilities. When i had that problem, it often took a second person on the other side of the car to co-ordinate the folding of the top. GM had electric convertible tops in the 60's on Chevy's, yet could not put one on a VERY expensive (at the time) Cadillac Allante 20+ years later.