1992 2.2 Shadow Failed emissions testing

Asked by Nov 24, 2011 at 11:04 AM about the 1992 Dodge Shadow 4 Dr America Hatchback

NJ Motor vehicles failed my daughters car:
Hydrocarbons read 9.0 ppm which apparently is off the chart
and CO% came in at 361
Would plugs and wires bring these down enough to pass or am I looking at some expensive electronic control module (ECM)?

Regards, Chet

10

The problem could be the oxygen sensor is bad. Inspect the wires at the connector that plugs into the oxygen sensor. As the wires age, the coverings shrink, exposing bare wire. The wires will make contact with each other and ruin the oxygen sensor. My solution was to fill the area with liquid plastic. Another trick is to disconnect the battery for at least 30 minutes. Then replace the oxygen sensor, hook the battery up and get it inspected before the oxygen sensor goes bad. I have a 1991 shadow with the 2.5L four. I live in Texas and have used this method to get mine to pass the emmissions test here.

2.2 motor,it has 2 oxygen sensors,one on exhaust manifold,one behind cat converter,also the cat converter could be cloged up.plugs and wires will help.forget the ecm part.sounds like it is doing its job.