doors windows

Asked by Apr 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM about the 1988 Buick Reatta Coupe FWD

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

My Drivers side door window only comes down about a quarter of the way. It makes a racheting noise and stops. When I put it back up it makes the same racheting noise and stops. I took off the door panel cover and viewed the metal arms and there seem to be a gear permanently attached to a metal piece that runs from the top of the door panel to the bottom . How do I take this gear off and replace it? Where do I get this gear?

3 Answers


The part that raises and lowers the windows in a door are called a regulator. You can get new ones at parts stores, eBay & Used ones come from scrap yards and eBay.

clean and lube the tracks, put it together and hope for the best...ordinary white petroleum jelly would do just fine~

How do you get the panel off?

Your Answer:


Looking for a Used Reatta in your area?

CarGurus has 50 nationwide Reatta listings and the tools to find you a great deal.


Buick Reatta Experts

  • #1
    Jason Zane
  • #2
  • #3
View All

Related Models For Sale

Used Cadillac Allante
99 listings
Used Buick Riviera
86 listings
Used Chevrolet Camaro
240 Great Deals out of 27,310 listings starting at $2,077
Used Buick Regal
86 Great Deals out of 3,948 listings starting at $5,300
Used Ford Mustang
256 Great Deals out of 38,495 listings starting at $1,350
Used Chevrolet Corvette
90 Great Deals out of 15,065 listings starting at $3,620
Used Mazda RX-7
60 listings
Used Nissan 300ZX
127 listings starting at $4,500
Used Chevrolet S-10
4 Great Deals out of 880 listings starting at $1,500
Used BMW 3 Series
898 Great Deals out of 31,544 listings starting at $900

Content submitted by Users is not endorsed by CarGurus, does not express the opinions of CarGurus, and should not be considered reviewed, screened, or approved by CarGurus. Please refer to CarGurus Terms of Use.