doors windows

Asked by Apr 11, 2013 at 09:01 PM about the 1988 Buick Reatta Coupe FWD

My Drivers side door window only comes down about a quarter of the way. It makes a racheting noise and stops. When I put it back up it makes the same racheting noise and stops. I took off the door panel cover and viewed the metal arms and there seem to be a gear permanently attached to a metal piece that runs from the top of the door panel to the bottom . How do I take this gear off and replace it? Where do I get this gear?

102,295

The part that raises and lowers the windows in a door are called a regulator. You can get new ones at parts stores, eBay & RockAuto.com. Used ones come from scrap yards and eBay.

clean and lube the tracks, put it together and hope for the best...ordinary white petroleum jelly would do just fine~

How do you get the panel off?