I have a 1989 Buick Reatta coupe that has a hard time starting in the morning.

10

Asked by Aug 16, 2014 at 10:58 PM about the 1989 Buick Reatta STD Coupe

My Reatta has a hard time starting in the morning, will crank on and off for about two to
three minutes before it will start to fire. I checked the spark at the plugs and they are
firing. The fuel pump seems to run for about 15 to 20 seconds then stops. I replaced
the fuel filter but did not help, but once it starts it will be ok unless I shut it off and let it
sit for 6 to 8 hours. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Jerry

66,145

Your fuel system is losing pressure. My '03 S-10 pick up does the same thing. Try this, turn the ignition on but don't try to start it. Count to 5 then turn it off. Now start it. If it starts right up that proves the fuel system is losing pressure. Most likely cause is a dying fuel pump. HTH. -Jim

10

Thanks for the reply Mark, I will get a new fuel pump. I did what you said, sometimes it starts right up, once in a while it will try to start on the first time, I turn the key off and then back in in a few seconds and then it starts. By doing as you explained, it does start bettter. Thanks! Jerry

66,145

You're welcome. Glad to help. -Jim