Not sure

Asked by Mar 30, 2013 at 11:41 PM about the 1989 Buick LeSabre Limited Coupe FWD

I have a 1989 LeSabre, 2 weeks ago it started to stall on me.  When I would try to restart it would just crank, after
letting it sit for a few minutes it would fire back up.  Had to have it towed to the mechanic, it took a few days for
the car to stall on them (3x's) (had to let them know how i drove it), they came back with a recommendation of
installing a new ignition module and connector.  I am going to have my neighbor due the repairs as mechanic
wants over $600.00 parts and labor and the car is not worth that much except to me as i am the original owner.  
Does not look like it will be too hard to do, any suggestions? also where is the fuel filter located?, I am a female
and not exactly mechanically inclined.  I did find a new AC Delco connector on Ebay,  biggest problem will be
trying to find a good replacement for the module.  Thank you for reading and any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.  P.S. in talking with mechanic my 89 Buick DOES NOT hold codes.

Take a hose to your battery and blast away any corrosion. Next remove the battery clamps and wirebrush each positive and negative along with any auxilliary connectors on the positive side, On the negative side, trace the cable till it comes to a bolt that holds it onto the chassis. remove that bolt, clean that connector, wirebrush the connection point hex nut and washer and assemble it along with the 1/0 cable leading to the motor block. All these connections must be sparky-fresh and be able to pull the 300 cold cranking amps. It is only this way we can be confident that the ECU is getting clean power not "brown" power which causes failures. comprendez?~

All GMC vehicles featuring OBD keep their trouble codes...I could be wrong, but if you hooked up a code reader, you'd see an assortment of failures past, and present.

89 is OBD 1 it still should store trouble codes. Any good parts store should have an ignition module for your car, and you ma also consider replacing the crank sensor as it is also a high fail item, you can see it down by the vibration damper. Fuel filter should be located back by the fuel tank just forward of the left rear wheel, if not there then it will be on the right side just in front of the fuel tank up high by one of the tank straps. Hope this helps

2 of 2 people found this helpful. $100 bit more, there are other suppliers too

You have NO check engine light? find that hard to believe...even so, let's try to break it down into performance issues. 1.air 2. fuel .3. spark 4. timing...apparently have a new ECU, but probably did not go basic, power from the battery like I said in the first entry....turns over round N round, so we've got the 300 amps cold-cranking power, Spark. could pull out a sparkplug, leave it connected to the secondary ignition, ground the body of the plug by wrapping it aluminum foil, connection to ground, turn it over and see if it sparks, there is a dandy high-voltage detection wand I used to have when I was a mechanic that'd glow when high voltage was present, but it got stolen one day~ You'd smell gasoline if you pulled out the sparkplug, so one may guess we've got fuel pressure, but still not sure where to begin looking on this puzzle...please drop me a few more clues~