My Focus has started shaking when in Idle and the engine stops...

Asked by May 03, 2012 at 11:31 AM about the 2003 Ford Focus SE

any ideas on what my problem could be? Im not very good at this sort of stuff.

If i put it in neutral and rev the engine then it keeps running, but if i leave it in gear at a light or stop sign the engine labors, i can feel it shake around, and then the engine just stops.

Please tell me this is something stupid and simple...

265

It could be the motor mounts are starting to go bad. If its the 2.0 Zetec, check the rear dog-bone mount. It should be under the car, on the drivers side behind the transmission.

425

my focus was shaking and it was the motor mounts, got them replaced and the shaking stopped.... as far as the car just stopping, its gotta be a completely separate issue..... i dont think the bad mounts should cause that

185

I had this same problem with my 2000 2.0 zetec. there was a 1 inch rubber hose, i believe from the exaust, that is visible just behind the engine, that had a small leak in it. it caused the car to idle funny, and stall when ideling. the problem was only present when the engine was warm though. hope this helps.

10

we have the same thing happening where are car came from the people that work on it don't know wtf it is I thing I find out was the pass. side mount was bad and if you put a crow bar on the front side of motor and push down the motor will purr like a kitten for right now I put plugs wires and a coil pack on the motor so the trans mounts under the air filter getting replaced next then the dog bone or what one you think it is

25

go to autozone and have them put the scaner on the car and see what code gives. if it gives that a bank lean is the problem then you might have an air or vac leak and it can be just a hose that at the dealer ship i paid $39 to buy for my 05 focus and the idle problem was fixed. one way to check if an air or vac leak is the problem is to buy some carb cleaner and spray around the engine like around the air box(on my car) with the engine on and if an air or vac leak is the problem then the engine should run at normal idle for 2 sec. or just buy the car cleaner and do the test before you get to autozone because they are not very accurate because they made me buy a mass airflow sensor for nothing.

Do you have a manual transmission? Every time you come to a stop you have to step on the clutch

30

Would bad motor mounts cause the check engine light to blink?

200

I have a 2000 Ford focus I have a bad shake only while it idles it goes away as soon as you get on the gas

20

so what can it be

30

I just had this repaired on my daughters car, it is a pcv valve and hose that needs to be changed. We also changed the motor mounts due to one being broken. both were right under $300 including labor.

10

Moen what was your problem? What hose did you replace?